There are many benefits to being the daughter of an Italian chef, one of them is being taught how to make the perfect pesto. So, allow me to reveal all – chef Mario’s easy-peasy pesto super presto!
100ml Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
50g Pine Nuts
1 Basil Plant
1 clove Garlic
100g Parmesan Cheese
Serves approximately 4-6 people
- Chop the leaves and stalks of one whole basil plant and put into a blender
- Add 50g of pine nuts into the blender with 1 peeled close of garlic
- Add 100g parmesan cheese into the blender
- Add 100ml olive oil into the blender
- Blitz in the blender until smooth – try just pulsing to begin with
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Bottle it (I usually use an old cleaned out jam jar) and pour a little more olive oil on top to seal it
Keep it in the fridge until ready to use – goes great mixed into pasta but also drizzled on soups, or try brushing on salmon fillets. There’s lots of ways to enjoy and it’s so much tastier than the shop bought version, plus it only takes 2 minutes to make. Buon appetito!